40 people led to safety as a Flat blazes in Nine Elms.

London Fire Brigade incident page reported that 4 fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers dealt with a fire in a block of flats in Nine Elms.

A flat on the third floor was badly damaged by the blaze. London Fire Brigade said: “When firefighters arrived they saw smoke coming from the third floor and some people who were on their balconies unable to escape because of the smoke. The crews immediately tackled the fire and went knocking on the doors of the two upper floors to make sure everybody was alerted, and around 40 people were led to safety via internal staircase.”

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, most likely to be due to a candle left unattended.

“Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.” To read more click here.

London Fire Risk Assessments advice to customers: If you see or smell smoke coming from another Flat  call 999 immediately. You should be familiar with the Fire Safety Emergency Plan for your block of Flats so you will know whether you should Evacuate or Stay Put. Make sure your family knows the plan and what to do in a time of Emergency. If you are not sure, check your Fire Risk Assessment there should be one held on site in the common areas. If it’s not there ask for a copy of the Fire Risk Assessment from the Property Management Company. Don’t leave it to chance be prepared!!! For further Fire Safety advice call us now on 01689 890879