Cigarette warning issued by Firefighters after London Flat Fire.

London Fire Brigade reported on their incident page – Firefighters are warning people to carefully dispose of their cigarettes following a fire in a flat in Bermondsey, SE1.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to the fire in an eight storey block of flats.

Part of a flat on the fourth floor was badly damaged by the blaze. The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, probably due to carelessly disposed cigarettes.

A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said:

“Incidents like this show how important it is to dispose of cigarettes properly. It’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it. If you don’t, you risk causing a fire that could destroy not only your home, but also your life.”

A woman and a man from the affected flat suffered from smoke inhalation and were taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews. A further 12 people left the flats before the arrival of the Brigade.

To read more click here.

London Fire Risk Assessments advice to customers: Always dispose of your cigarettes safely for Fire Brigade advice on Smoking click here. The most important thing for you to do to keep you and your family safe from Fire is to install a Smoke Detector. If you need advice on how they should be positioned call us now on 01689 890879 we have a friendly team who can help.