Clive Lewis TIFireE joins Vanessa Feltz’s BBC Radio London Show

London Fire Risk Assessments Managing Director Clive Lewis TIFireE joins Vanessa Feltz in a discussion on Fire Safety. The discussion was in response to the emotional interview given by Claudia Winkleman on the dreadful incident on 31st October 2014 – Halloween night – when her eight-year-old daughter, Matilda, was taken to hospital after being seriously injured when her witch’s costume caught fire.

Claudia described the horrendous incident and how she and a friend patted the Fire out but every time they stopped the Fire would start up again just like the ‘magic’ relighting’ candles you can get for Birthday Cakes.

Vanessa wanted to know what her ‘Lovely Listeners’ should do in a similar incident.

Clive gave the following advice: Stop, Drop and Roll

  • Bring the person to the ground
  • Smother the flames with a coat, table cloth, blanket ideally a Fire Blanket
  • Keep rolling them until the Fire is out

Clive described a similar incident in a Night Club when a man, wearing alcohol based aftershave fell on a T-light and caught alight. The man did the complete opposite to Stop, Drop and Roll and panicked which led to the man “going up like a candle himself”.

Clive pointed out the Responsible Person of the Night Club was fined £5,000 for not training his Staff on what to do in such a circumstance.

Citing a personal experience Vanessa took the opportunity to seek Clive’s advice on the evacuation of Hotel – to listen to the full discussion click here