Storage Cupboard Fire in Thornton Heath

A man was injured after a fire in flats above a row of shops on the High Street in Thornton Heath yesterday evening. He was taken to hospital by the London Ambulance Service suffering from minor burns. Two other people left the flats before the Brigade arrived at the scene. Crew Manager Adam Hills, who was at the fire said:

“None of the flats in the building had smoke alarms fitted. It is vital that you have at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home and test it regularly, as it gives you early warning in the event of a fire.”

Firefighters confined the blaze to a storage room on the first floor, which was badly damaged in the blaze.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers from Norbury and West Norwood attended the incident.

London Fire Risk Assessments Advice: Storage cupboards in the common areas of Residential premises are usually the responsibility of the Residents. So often our ‘Co-ordinating Team’ witness storage up to the ceiling, sometimes even damaging the ceiling itself and the lighting. Reducing Fire loading should be a priority – if you don’t want the items don’t store them remove them from site.