Beauty Blaze!!! – Hair Dryer Causes Fire in Kensington, West London

London Fire Brigade reported on the incident page that a hair dryer which was accidently switched on by a door swinging open, caused a fire on Gratton Road in Kensington, west London.

Fire investigators from the London Fire Brigade believe that the hairdryer was only partially unplugged so when the door swung open, it pushed the plug back in. As the hair dryer had been left switched on, it started to blast out hot air which heated a number of items left on the floor, including an aerosol can which then exploded causing a fire.

London Fire Brigade Head of Fire Investigation said: “While this is an unusual chain of events, it shows how important it is to not leave items like hair dryers and straighteners plugged in. Thankfully the resident was alerted to the fire quickly when the aerosol can exploded. Had he not been in, the fire could have quickly spread and this story could have had a very different ending. Smoke alarms also went off in the home, which also gave an extra warning of the blaze. I can’t stress how important it is to have working smoke alarms in your home. Not only are they your first warning that there is a fire, but if you are out, your neighbours might hear the alarm.” Click here to read more.

London Fire Risk Assessments advice to customers:

Protecting your family and home should be your number one priority – so the first step should be to make sure you have Smoke Detectors! They save lives!! For advice on location and test frequency visit London Fire Brigade website or alternatively ring London Fire Risk Assessments on 01689 890879 we have a friendly team of Fire Safety Advisors ready to help.

Make your family aware that they must unplug and leave hot appliances such as straighteners, hair dryers, tongs and irons on a heat resistant surface to cool down. Also keep aerosols and mirrors away from direct sunlight.

Another major cause of Fires in the home – Candles.

Make sure they are placed on a heat resistant surface, away from curtains and soft furnishing and do not leave them unattended.

For more Fire Safety Advice in the home call us now on 01689 890879


International Rescue! LFRA Hero – Clive Lewis attacks car fire and saves lives!

London Fire Risk Assessments MD – Clive Lewis TIFireE saves the day whilst travelling on holiday!

Driving from England to Greece for his annual vacation, Mr Lewis pulled into a service station on the Italian coast to refuel. As he entered the services station he passed a stationery care and there was a sudden, forceful BOOM! He felt the impact but knew instantly that he hadn’t been hit by another car.

He carried on and parked the car at a safe distance and went to investigate, at the same time the whole of the service station rest area was evacuating. People and cars were frantically racing to get out and away. Mr Lewis however picked up a Fire Extinguisher and ran towards a stationery, burning car. The two occupants got out safely and Mr Lewis attacked the Fire!

A Fire Marshal then came running to assist but it was already under control – Mr Lewis our very own hero!